Almost Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
The last time I made these I failed to track my ingredients. I promised to provide a recipe but minus the requisite ingredients, I unintentionally reneged on that promise. Tonight I decided to cook Chicken Pot Pie for dinner since I already used the oven to make bread. It gave me the opportunity to grab a sticky note and write things down as I went so you can recreate these wonderful little pies.
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (Save some time and buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.)
- 1 Can of Cream of Mushroom, Celery or Chicken soup plus 1/2 can of water
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (I used corn, peas and green beans)
- 1 Tablespoon chicken base
- 1 Tablespoon Wondra flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Montreal Chicken seasoning
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 Nine inch pie dough circles room temperature (Pilsbury from the grocery store cold case or make your own)
- 1 egg whipped to egg wash the tops
- 3 six inch foil pie tins
Instructions: Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
In a sauce pan stir together the soup, water, chicken base, flour and seasonings. Add frozen vegetables and heat on medium low. You want the mixture to thicken to very thick gravy consistency.
If you use the store bought pie dough circles, here’s what I did to make dividing and rolling out super easy. Remove dough from packaging and place one rolled up dough circle in the microwave for 5-10 seconds on high. You want the dough to be barely warm. Now smoosh it together into a ball. Divide each pie dough ball into two balls – one bigger, one smaller and roll both out. Line the tins with the larger circles. Add 1/3 of the chicken and 1/3 of the vegetable mixture to each. Top them with the smaller circle, crimp edges with a fork and cut slits in the top. Brush the tops of each pie with the egg wash and sprinkle a little kosher salt. Place pies on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes. Tops will be golden brown.
Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. You know the proven fact about the internal temperature of a chicken pot pie right?